This post is sponsored by Nebraska Furniture Mart and Samsung #SouperBowl TV Giveaway. All thoughts and the recipe in this post are my own…This is one Amazing Soup!
Hi there Friends!
SuperBowl Sunday is just around the corner…less than a week away! If you’re like me, you’ve already starting thinking about the food. That’s my favorite part of any football game! Well, I’m souper thrilled to be part of the #SouperBowl with Nebraska Furniture Mart. They are having a contest on their facebook page where you can enter to win a 65” 4K Curved Suhdtv…You won’t want to miss out on that!
Football and burgers go hand in hand…Right? So, what could be better than a big pot of Cheesy Burger Soup! It happens to be the #1 most requested recipe at my house. All my boys LOVE it (husband included) and could probably eat it at least once a week. It’s perfect for a crowd too because it makes a huge batch.
A friend shared this recipe with me years ago and it has been a hit ever since. Over the years, I’ve made a few adjustments to make it a tad healthier and easier to prepare for a crowd.
- 1 1/2 lbs. lean ground beef
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 4-5 stalks celery, evenly sliced
- 4 carrots, peeled and chopped or sliced
- 4-5 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped OR 4 cups frozen southern style hashbrowns
- 1-2 tsp. dried parsley
- 1-2 tsp. dried basil or oregano (both taste great!)
- 4-5 cups chicken broth (I use reduced sodium Better Than Bouillon Chicken Base)
- 3 Tbsp. real butter (not margarine)
- 3-4 Tbsp. flour
- 1 pkg. shredded 2% cheddar cheese OR 2 cups freshly shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 cup 2% milk (use whatever you have on hand)
- 1/2 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt (or plain yogurt)
- salt and pepper to taste
- olive oil
- In a large skillet, drizzle olive oil and saute onions and garlic until onions are clear. Add ground beef and cook until browned.
- In a large stock pot, saute celery, carrots and potatoes a few minutes until the carrots start to soften.
- Add seasonings during this step. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Add chicken broth, followed by the cooked ground beef. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to med-low for about 15 minutes or until potatoes soften.
- In a separate small skillet, make a simple roux by melting the butter and whisking in the flour. Should start to bubble after a minute. Cook, stirring constantly a couple minutes to take the starchy taste out.
- Add to soup, stir in, and increase heat to a boil for a couple minutes before taking heat down to low.
- Cook on low while adding the cheese, followed by the milk.
- When cheese and milk are thoroughly combined, add the yogurt.
- Serve and enjoy or transfer to a slow cooker and enjoy later...Either way, it is so yummy!
- - You may skip the step of adding the roux by adding the flour directly in with the vegetables and omitting the butter. Just toss and coat.
- - Also delicious with the addition of broccoli and cauliflower. This soup is a great way to sneak veggies into kiddos.
- - Add seasonings to taste- We tend to like more seasoning.
- - If soup is too thick, add a little more chicken broth.
Looking for other #SouperBowl Inspiration? We’ve got you covered…
#SouperBowl Starting Lineup
Living A Sunshine Life Soup Recipe: Fully Loaded Steak Fajita Chili
Mom Saves Money Soup Recipe: Tuscan Potato & Sausage
Mainly Homemade Soup Recipe: Lentil Soup
7 on a Shoestring Soup Recipe: Hail Mary Sirloin Stew
Of Life and Style Soup Recipe: Zuppa Bowl
Fashion Plate KC Soup Recipe: Layered Tex-Mex Fiesta Bowl
Sugar Bee Crafts Soup Recipe: BEST Broccoli Potato Soup Ever!
One Krieger Chick Soup Recipe: Cheeseburger Soup
As part of of our huge #SouperBowl Party, be sure to enter to win this incredible Samsung Curved 65″ Class 4K TV! Hurry, the contest ends Today…February 2, 2016!
If you liked this recipe, you may also enjoy my Homemade Potato Soup…Also perfect for a crowd!
Now that you know what’s on the menu at our house this weekend, what’s on the menu at yours?