Today is a special day at our house…My middle son is turning the Big 6! So big, right… The years really have flown by. So much quicker than I ever expected. Over the weekend, we had a Pool Party and celebrated with friends and family. The kids swam, played kickball, dug in the dirt pit and had a blast…One thing I’ve learned over the years of living with boys is that they are way more impressed by the food at a party than the decorations.
And so easy to put together!
My sweet friend, blogger, and fellow Link Party Co-hostess, Katie from Made to be a Momma, just published her first book and I was lucky enough to review a copy. Yay! So many cute ideas! I can’t wait to try them all… As though I needed one more reason to make treats! My boys looked through the cookbook with me and picked their favorite treats to make. Oliver loves the color orange, so naturally he chose the Orange Creamsicle Cupcakes…perfect for his upcoming birthday pool party.
If you guessed Orange soda in the cupcake batter and Orange gelatin in the frosting…You are right! Not too sweet, but definitely an orange flavor. I may have tasted a couple before the party…
For the embellishments: I baked the cupcakes in a light colored cupcake liner, then set them in colorful liners for display. Why? The pretty cupcake liners bake into the cupcake and you can no longer see the vivid images.
A few others received the Orange Soda treatment…an orange flavored lifesaver with a paper straw stuck in the middle. I cut each straw into thirds and they fit perfectly into the middle of the lifesaver. So cute…until the kids try to drink the cupcakes. It happened…and I laughed. Kids are so funny!
- 2 cups flour
- 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 4 Tbsp. Orange Gelatin powder (I used Sugar Free)
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup white granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 (8oz) can Orange Soda
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 tsp. pure orange extract
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 4 oz Cream Cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp orange gelatin powder
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a small bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, orange gelatin powder, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, cream together butter,sugar, and eggs.
- Slowly add orange soda, milk, and extracts to creamed mixture.
- Mix until combined.
- Pour mixture 3/4 full into paper lined muffin tins. I use my Pampered Chef large scoop.
- Bake 20-22 minutes or until edges are lightly golden.
- Remove from oven and set aside to cool completely.
- In a medium size bowl, beat cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar, and orange gelatin powder.
- Spread onto cupcakes with a flat edge spreader.
- Add embellishments.
- 1 (4 oz.) Sugar-free Orange gelatin yields 1 Tbsp. powder. I used generic brand.
- I doubled both recipes to make a batch large enough for a party.
- I added 1 tsp pure orange extract to the frosting.
- See Katie's cookbook 'Kids' Treats' for more cute ideas with cupcakes!
Enjoy the week!