Hi there friends! Hope you all had an amazing weekend! We were busy enjoying the last weekend before my boys start back to school on Thursday. We went to an outdoor concert, ate shaved ice, played with friends, and had family over for a pool party…Needless to say, the boys are sleeping in this morning. As much as I LOVE Summer, this Momma is ready to get back on a routine.
If you are anything like me, I am always looking for a quick and easy dish to take to a get together. Today, I’m sharing one of my all-time favorite summer dishes…Perfect for this time of year because it is a great way to use up some of those cucumbers that are growing like crazy in the garden. One can only make so many pickles, right?! (Actually- I didn’t make any pickles this year. If you want to know the honest truth…)
I don’t ever remember eating Cucumbers and Onions until I met my husband and my Mother-in-Law introduced me. That’s when I fell in love…with the dish. I was already in love with my husband. 😉 Then one year she made it with a Twist…the addition of pasta. Even yummier!
It just gets better…It is a make ahead dish. You can assemble it in the morning or even the night before you have somewhere to go. It makes a huge batch, so it is perfect for potlucks. And it keeps in the fridge for a few days. I always hope there’s leftovers so I can have lunch for days!
- 1 pkg. bowtie or spiral pasta
- 2 cucumbers, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 - 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 - 1 ½ c. sugar
- 1 c. water
- ¾ c. white vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. mustard seed
- Cook pasta. (Optional: pat dry and toss with a little olive oil to keep from sticking together.) I usually skip this.
- Toss with onions and cucumbers.
- Boil sugar, water, vinegar and mustard seed. (I heat it in the microwave in a glass measuring cup)
- Pour dressing over pasta mixture.
- Toss to coat.
- Let chill at least 8 hours, tossing periodically.
- Can be made with wheat or gluten-free pasta.
- Any kind of onions will work. I like red onions for the color they add.