I LOVE Christmas…the meaning…the decorations…the lights…the traditions…But one thing I look forward to each and every year are the Cookies!
Did you catch this yummy recipe I shared as a part of Made to Be a Momma’s Cookie Exchange Series?
Well, if not…I’m so happy to be sharing one of my all-time FAVORITE Holiday Cookie Recipes…
Every Christmas Holiday, for as long as I can remember, my Mom has baked these cookies. And…every year, I look forward to them. They are soft and not too sweet with a hint of cinnamon and vanilla…Yum! I’ve even been known to pair a few with coffee for breakfast. This batch did not last long at my house and I am certain it won’t at yours either!
- 1 c. brown sugar
- 1 c. white sugar
- 1 c. shortening
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 1/2 c. flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 c. white sugar
- 1/2 c. water
- 1 lb. finely chopped dates (I buy whole pitted dates and chop them myself)
- Cream together the sugars and shortening.
- Add the eggs and mix thoroughly.
- Add vanilla and mix until combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, and cinnamon.
- Slowly add to creamed mixture.
- Divide into thirds and shape into flat squares about the thickness of a hamburger patty.
- Wrap separately with plastic wrap and chill.
- This will make rolling the dough much easier and give you good sized cookies.
- While the dough chills, mix up the filling.
- In a medium saucepan, cook sugar, water and dates on medium-low heat until heated through and resembles a paste.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool a bit while you roll out the cookie dough.
- Working with one pre-chilled dough at a time, roll out chilled dough into a rectangle about 1/4 inch thick.
- Evenly spread with 1/3 of the date mixture.
- Roll up like a jelly roll. Wrap with plastic wrap and chill.
- Chill for about a half hour before slicing and baking or freeze in roll form to slice and bake at a later date.
- If baking now, bake 12 minutes at 350 degrees.
I hope you enjoy these Family Favorite Cookies as much as we do…Enjoy!
What’s your Favorite Holiday Cookie?
Sharing with…Fluster Buster
Other Inspiring One Krieger Chick Christmas Ideas…